Building Your Collection

The last big push towards Connect was in Feb 2020. So that’s not too bad, right?

However, a HUGE push is coming up within a few weeks, so be prepared! :slight_smile:

No. It’s not too bad. And, my reasons for not changing are simply because Connect doesn’t offer all of the options for information MuC does. I’ve got a lot of customized fields I use to keep track of stuff. They don’t sync. I understand why they don’t sync but that’s why I don’t fully change.

Hell, Alwin, I’m complimenting you and the team!

Connect looks like a fine product, especially in that it contains almost all the functionality of my favorite desktop software gem from CLZ. The one drawback, as has been discussed to death now, is lack of local access - and I hope that by now we’ve seen enough discussion by several hardcore users to understand that it’s not a trivial point. Some of us need that access.

The “runs on any computer anywhere” thing may be attractive to some, but I only use two to work on my music collection, and they’re both networked to a single .muc file, so for me, portability is no advantage.

But the larger point is this: if I have (as I do) a six-year-old automobile with less than 65k km on the odometer, and it still drives and smells like new, I’m not about to change it because someone is selling a zoomier model with a better GPS. I hope you can see that what we’re collectively saying here is that you and the team have built a classic piece of software. It’s as close to perfect as things on computers get in the real world.

Shouldn’t you be celebrating that?

Perhaps we could have a little more transparency: is there a timeline for when MuC will no longer function, or no longer sync?

Yes, let’s celebrate that, so let’s make a deal:

• You guys all have my personal permission to keep using the Music Collector desktop software.
  • You all forget all about Music Connect. Don’t switch to Connect, don’t try Connect, no need to worry about Connect’s features and functionality.
  • You fully ignore the upcoming emails about switching to Music Connect, these are not meant for you.
  • Then, from our end, we promise to keep Music Collector up and running and compatible with our servers, for a long as that is feasible

This will save us all a lot of time and discussions.

Deal?

No timeline there. There is no reason why MuC will stop working, even if we do not developer or support it anymore. As long as it is compatible with our servers (we will try to keep it that way as long as that is feasible), it will keep functioning.

FIY: All development and support for our macOS versions were discontinued in Feb 2021 and these are still functional today.

Thanks - yes, my Mac version is still working. I have also subscribed to Connect and am working towards that, hence my list of suggestions in another thread.

Yes, thank you for that.
That is what we need and love, feedback and suggestions from users who are actually using Connect and actually want to make it work for them.

I’m still not a fan of working online, for reasons stated elsewhere, but I’m also a realist and the handwriting is on the wall, so best to move forward and adapt.

1 Like

Absolutely a deal.

But of course I won’t do this:

Because the day may come when some killer feature is added to Connect that I just have to have. You seem annoyed that you’ve produced such a great program that people don’t want to leave it? Bet a lot of developers would kill for that.

You’ve eased concerns that MuC support and connectivity might be disabled some day. Of course I’ll accept that deal - and continue to renew my subscription every year. You’ve earned it.

1 Like

I am not annoyed at that at all. I am proud of that.
And I want you to keep enjoying that great program.
So please, just stick with Music Collector and let us move on with the next great program.

Again… deal?