Collector desktop vs Connect web-based

Great, good to hear that!
If you have any questions about Music Connect, just ask in the Music Connect section of this forum.

Oooook, i juts made the switch.
And deinstalled Music Collector after all this Years. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Thank you for continuing to support desktop software and explaining the current intentions. As someone that has had physical media since the eighties, asking me to switch would be quite a task!
Even in this age, 2024 when I seem to have a great internet connection at home (2 Gig fiber), outages still happen somewhat regularly. And using the companion app, CLZ Movies on Android, it is convenient to have the two synced without using mobile data. Believe it or not, even in this day and age, mobile data is very expensive! Having my entire database on my phone, which has 1Tb of storage is convenient.

The desktop app is quite stable. The only “bug” is that sometimes your site serves us PNG images with JPG file extensions. One screen view can see the image, one cannot. No biggie any way as I replace most images with my own sourced images. If I kept them though I would just assign the proper extension.

One single question comes up though, does the cloud based service offer custom images? I know you said you serve us lower resolution images for copyright reasons. Have you ever been served a DMCA takedown for legit images?

This is indeed a known issue, and we’re working on serving them… the right way :slight_smile:

Yes, it does, you can upload your own images if you feel the need to.

No, this has not happened.

But is that really a problem? During those internet outages, you cannot use email, you cannot do online banking, no online shopping, no whatsapp, no googling etc…
And you are still using email, online banking, google, etc… ,right?
So why would occasional internet outage keep you from using web-based software?

Sorry, I don’t follow how this is related to using Movie Collector or Movie Connect?

I really Thank you, Alwin, for this detailed explanation.

I am an old date Music Collectorz user because I found that your desktop application was the best for my needings (and stiil it is!).

I need to stick to the desktop application exactly beacuse of the dealbreakers you wrote about (UDF & link to music files above all).

Even if you are declaring the desktop application won’t be udpated anymore with new features, I’m going to renew my subscription even to reward a little, enthusiastic, passionate software house that did a lot of quality work in the past.

Only a consideration: some of your dealbreakers are “opportunities” for other.
I’ll try to clarify:
Collectors of liquid music (MP3 or high definition is irrelevant) are increasing. My own collection is taking on important dimensions also because I am ripping my CDs and my SACD’s. There is a need to organize all these files and, possibly, to make them available in your local network (DLNA server or similar).
This type of applications exists (Mediamonkey, MusicBee, for example) and must necessarily be local, installed on servers or home PCs. And I’m starting to consider adopting one of them, in parallel with Music Collectorz.

Why, instead of abandoning the version installed on PC, don’t you think about making it make an evolutionary leap by acquiring these features as well? Considering the high quality of the software you produce, I believe that many, including myself, would be willing to adopt it by paying the appropriate fee.

I really hope to see something like this in the near future.

Best regards and good work!

I think what Alwin described at the start of this post answers your question…

It seems that no developers want to work in the Windows environment anymore and even if there were it probably wouldn’t be financially viable so there’s little interest in keeping that platform alive.

Are you sure about that?
In this age of streaming?
Ripping and storing local digital music files was BIG in our early days, when we still had a special product for that (MP3 Collector). I think around 2002?
But even that MP3 Collector product has been discontinued a LONG time ago because interest was fading away.

Well, the situation is not as plain and simple as it could appear.
To answer:

• Q: Music Streaming market is relevant?

• A: Yes of course. It represents the 23% of the music source today and the 84% of the music market revenues. So VERY relevant. BUT it seems to have reached an inflection point in the 2023. So, very relevant but stable.

• Q: Bought Music is relevant (CDs, LPs, Donwloaded)?

• A: Certainly, less than streamed music, but, however, it represents the 10% percent of the music market. Not something to ignore.

• Q: Could we be interested in “niche” market?

• A: It depends only on you. HIFI Audio is a niche market, but it is not dead nor does it shows signs of dying. The same for the vinyl market, the hi-res music market and so on… There are professionals who make a living from these niche markets. After all, the whole collector world is a niche, right?

• Q: Why did “MP3 collector” fail?

• A: Probably because it was “out of time” and, perhaps, badly positioned. Why buy “MP3 Collector” when there is “Music Collector” which is even more suitable for collectors? I would never have bought it. But today I need a new tool that integrates both my need as a collector and my need to spread my music on my network and in my home (MP3 Collector didn’t do it…). High quality music because I am -also- an hifi (niche) user

Finally, if I may, software development for personal installations is not dead and cannot be. Music (and art in general) is an area where this type of application, for now, is still essential.

Consider this… I’m a hobby music producer. All DAWs (Steinberg, AVID, Ableton, Reaper…) are sophisticated software to install on your PC. Furthermore, all VSTs must be installed on your PCs.
And, for the moment, there is no alternative solution precisely because these softwares have to process heavy local files.

Having said that, obviously, my considerations are just chatter between (let me say) friends.
It is obvious that investing in this direction is a commitment. And it is not certain that a small, honest, software house like yours would decide to face this type of commitment. Consequently, any decision you make will be welcome.
My comments were just to offer a different point of view and a wish that you can make the most of the excellent work you have done to date.

1 Like

If I am in a store browsing releases and cannot remember if I own a title or not in my vast collection, use of mobile data would be required if the data is not stored locally on the device. If the data connection is down, NO GO.
If I wanted to do maintenance on my collection or try to decide on what I want to watch with the help of the program, no internet is needed (if it were to be offline). If a specific movie is part of a box set and I cannot remember which box set, finding it is easy within the program, stored locally. Maybe I am in the minority now, but I still appreciate the option of sticking with a solid program.

1 Like

But in that situation, you would use the CLZ mobile app, right? Which does have local data storage.

In that situation too, the CLZ mobile app is the way to go.