Access violation

Hi all,

I just purchased a license for CLZ Books (Android) and Book Collector (Windows) today. I’ve been getting the following accession violation error when editing a book after scanning it in CLZ Books app and downloading my updated data via CLZ Cloud.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 152015

Steps to recreate:

1. Scan book in CLZ Books app and add to collection
  2. Sync to cloud in Android app
  3. Sync from cloud in Windows
  4. Edit one of the new books. Delete values in Subject box on Main tab.
  5. Click OK button. Nothing happens.
  6. Click OK button. Access violation. Click OK on error dialog box.
  7. Click cancel button on Edit Book screen. Changes seem to have been saved.

Also, I’ve used Music Collector for a looong time. (Since it was Keep It Compact.) So Music Collector is installed as well. I’ve noticed that, since installing Book Collector this morning, Music Collector has been sluggish when opening and has also thrown a few access violation errors similar to the one I’ve seen in Book Collector.

I got the same exact error last night and then again today when modifying a book. I didn’t add a book last night - but I did today and then went and modifed a different book - so not quite the same steps. In both instances it was when I tried to save the modification.

I shut down Book Collectors, checked task manager to make sure there was no left over processes running (there weren’t) and then restarted.

Both last night and today it took FOREVER to load my book database (well, MUCH longer than normal - maybe 20-30 seconds vs almost instantaneously) It is very disconcerting :nauseated_face: to be staring at a blank Book Collector app for 20-30 seconds - when normally it loads very quickly and I can see my almost 1900 books right away. :frowning_face:

For Book Collector try this:

Please follow the steps below to try and resolve this issue, this process will affect some local settings in your software such as the width of columns, but your database will not be affected.

Here’s what to do:

1. Click the Windows start icon and type ‘regedit’ into the search box, then press ENTER.

2. Locate the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Collectorz.com > Book

3. Select that “Book” folder entry there and delete it!

4. Download and install Book Collector from your My CLZ page:
    https://my.clz.com

5. After installing, you will have to unlock the software. Fill in your username/password to unlock the software.

6. Before actually opening your database, try adding one book to this empty database, just to check if it all works fine!

7. Now, reopen your database: Click File > Open then locate the database file in order to get things working again.

Also I strongly urge you to consider moving to our web-app Book Connect where these kinds of errors will not happen.

yeah, not a fan of the web-based version. I can NEVER seem to find anything in it and there are some things missing (or at least they were several years ago). But the issue of finding my books is still a problem as I periodically use it when I am out and about. I find the desk top version WAY better and far more intuitive than the web-based one. I know Alwin will be saying 'What???" But just my personal opinion!

Update

I just went and tried to play with it some - because I just read the post under General about the focus being on the web-based software from now on. I couldn’t do a number of things - one of which was add a book - but then I realized that the post in the general section talked about a free trial for the web-based software - so maybe I need to do that free trial (don’t have time right now) and see if the problems that I’ve had in the past are due to the fact that I only had a view-only version of the web-based software.

Question for @CLZ_AJ - if I do the trial - will it wipe out my existing data that goes up to the cloud from the desktop? Or will I just be able to access add a book and other things from there? I’m assuming the latter - but also didn’t want to take the step to do the trial without confirming that.

And as an FYI - I found a couple of books in web-based that didn’t have an image - but they do in desktop - what is the deal with that? I’ve seen that in the past as well - which has been another reason why I haven’t dinked around with it more.

Thanks!
Sherri

When you start the trial you will just be “enabled” to add books there indeed, no collection will be wiped out!
When the trial ends, also nothing will be removed.

As for books in the web-based (and cloud) that don’t have an image, but do in your desktop:
Check the book on desktop, edit it, go to the cover tab, and check if the custom cover check is switched on. If not, switch it on, then sync again.
You can also use Tools > Maintenance > Mark all Custom Covers on desktop to do this automatically which will work for most (if not all) covers.

I keep getting these errors when attempting to start Book Collector:

Screenshot 2024-06-15 051855

Then my collection won’t populate and I am unable to download from the cloud. When I close the program, I get the following errors:

Screenshot 2024-06-15 051940

Screenshot 2024-06-15 051921

I have attempted the Regedit and reinstall, but I am getting the same errors. Need help. I’ve been using Book Collector for years. I have the app on my phone, but I prefer the computer interface for doing edits.

“Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.”

The first error you encountered is likely caused by a folder protection via Avast/AVG Antivirus, Windows Protection or another antivirus software.

All errors after that are likely caused by the “Cannot create” error!

IMPORTANT: Can you please let me know if you indeed used Avast or AVG Antivirus?

AVAST/AVG Antivirus
Do you by any chance use Avast Antivirus or AVG Antivirus? If so, please follow these steps to make the program work again:

REGULAR WINDOWS PROTECTION
If you use regular Windows protection: follow these steps:

1. Open the Virus & threat settings by searching the Start Menu for “Virus & threat protection”
  2. Click “Manage Ransomware protection”.
  3. Set the switch for Controlled folder access to Off
    (or use “Allow an app through Controlled folder access” and add our program!)

OTHER 3RD PARTY PROTECTION:
See if you can find a way to allow our program to write in the “Documents > Music/Movie/Book/Comic/Game Collector” folder. If you can’t find it, see if you can contact the developers of your antivirus program, to see if they have instructions for that.

I would seriously consider moving completely to Book Connect though, where these kinds of errors can not happen.