Access violation

Hi all,

I just purchased a license for CLZ Books (Android) and Book Collector (Windows) today. I’ve been getting the following accession violation error when editing a book after scanning it in CLZ Books app and downloading my updated data via CLZ Cloud.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 152015

Steps to recreate:

1. Scan book in CLZ Books app and add to collection
  2. Sync to cloud in Android app
  3. Sync from cloud in Windows
  4. Edit one of the new books. Delete values in Subject box on Main tab.
  5. Click OK button. Nothing happens.
  6. Click OK button. Access violation. Click OK on error dialog box.
  7. Click cancel button on Edit Book screen. Changes seem to have been saved.

Also, I’ve used Music Collector for a looong time. (Since it was Keep It Compact.) So Music Collector is installed as well. I’ve noticed that, since installing Book Collector this morning, Music Collector has been sluggish when opening and has also thrown a few access violation errors similar to the one I’ve seen in Book Collector.

I got the same exact error last night and then again today when modifying a book. I didn’t add a book last night - but I did today and then went and modifed a different book - so not quite the same steps. In both instances it was when I tried to save the modification.

I shut down Book Collectors, checked task manager to make sure there was no left over processes running (there weren’t) and then restarted.

Both last night and today it took FOREVER to load my book database (well, MUCH longer than normal - maybe 20-30 seconds vs almost instantaneously) It is very disconcerting :nauseated_face: to be staring at a blank Book Collector app for 20-30 seconds - when normally it loads very quickly and I can see my almost 1900 books right away. :frowning_face:

For Book Collector try this:

Please follow the steps below to try and resolve this issue, this process will affect some local settings in your software such as the width of columns, but your database will not be affected.

Here’s what to do:

1. Click the Windows start icon and type ‘regedit’ into the search box, then press ENTER.

2. Locate the following key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Collectorz.com > Book

3. Select that “Book” folder entry there and delete it!

4. Download and install Book Collector from your My CLZ page:
    https://my.clz.com

5. After installing, you will have to unlock the software. Fill in your username/password to unlock the software.

6. Before actually opening your database, try adding one book to this empty database, just to check if it all works fine!

7. Now, reopen your database: Click File > Open then locate the database file in order to get things working again.

Also I strongly urge you to consider moving to our web-app Book Connect where these kinds of errors will not happen.