Howdy. I have thousands of comics added from before the adding process automatically updates the “Purchased Date” field. It bugs me that they lack this info. For a very large number of these (probably 65%), the “Added Date” is a good proxy for when they were purchased. I wanted to know if there was a way to map “Added Date” as “Purchased Date” in bulk. The real trick is I would only want to do this for comics where “Purchased Date” is blank and “Added Date” is after a certain point (before that point much of the adding was done in bulk as it’s when I first started using the app). If you had an API, I could easily do this on my own programmatically. But not sure how to do it with what I have access to. Thanks!
Yes, the Transfer Field Data tool (in the menu, under Maintenance), should work for that.
the real trick is I would only want to do this for comics where “Purchased Date” is blank and “Added Date” is after a certain point
You should be able to make that selection using Purchased Date folder, clicking the NONE folder and then sorting the results by Date Added.
OK. I did try this out, but found a couple things. First, it appears that “Added Date” is not a valid source field in the Transfer Field Data tool. At least, when I bring up the tool, it does not show up as a source field I can use.
Second, I found myself really wanted to group things in a bit of a different way. I wanted to say something like “for all comics in range X through Y of an Added Date, use this specific date as the Purchased Date.” The reasoning for that is when my pull box gets a bit big it may actually take me a few sessions to sit down and properly catalog things. So the Added Dates may be a few days clustered together and the true Purchase Date is likely the first of those few clustered days.
For this first experiment I used the Release Date as the source, and that does act like a decent proxy. But if you have ideas on how to get me closer to what I’m after I’d love to hear them.
As always, thank you for this excellent platform and the excellent support you provide for it. Yours is one of the few of the MANY software platforms I use regularly that I truly enjoy using.