Considering going to CLZ Books Web: A couple of questions

I use both the mobile app and the desktop subscription, syncing between the two. I have avoided switching from desktop to the web-based version, because I live in an area where the internet does go out at times, and I will be moving to another. And I also like to have a copy of my data on my own computer. But I am at least willing to consider it, given that you are no longer updating or adding features to the desktop version.

However, I can’t find answers on the CLZ Books Web page to the following questions. (If there’s a better forum to ask this, please point me in the right direction.)

  1. Would my additions to the list of extras (things like “Mylar DJ protector” and “Library Mylar cover”) transfer from my desktop to the web version?
  2. Will my Notes transfer? It’s where I keep details about the condition and any inscriptions, keep track of who gave me a book, and note down any other information that doesn’t fit neatly into the existing fields and categories.
  3. A forum question from 2024 suggests that Books Web doesn’t allow for pseudonyms to be linked to the author’s other name(s). Is that still true?

Finally, I realize you have no intention of going out of business, but, well… things happen. All of us have seen companies disappear before. What contingency plans do you have to allow Web subscribers to download their data in the event you have to close down? And what measures do you have in place to guard against the loss of individual users’ databases?

Thank you,

Lark

Hi Lark,

Good to hear you are considering to migrate to the Web edition.

First, about the internet going out at times. I understand that may still happen in some areas, but is that really a reason to not opt for web-based software? I mean, when the internet is down, you cannot access email, you cannot send whatsapp messages, no reading of news sites, no online banking, no online shopping, no online gaming, nothing…

So in that “offline” situation, is accessing your book database really the biggest problem on your mind? I mean, do you refuse to use email because your internet is sometimes down?

Also, if you really need to consult your book database, you can always still use your CLZ Books mobile app, as that has the data stored on the device. You would even be able to edit books and sync the changes to the cloud later.

Now, to your questions:

Sure, the Extras field exists in the Web edition too and fully syncs from desktop.

Of course.

That is still the case.

Finally, I realize you have no intention of going out of business, but, well… things happen. All of us have seen companies disappear before. What contingency plans do you have to allow Web subscribers to download their data in the event you have to close down?

You can always make local backups and CSV exports. That is available now, every day

And what measures do you have in place to guard against the loss of individual users’ databases?

We make daily backups of all user databases and can restore backups easily, for the past 7 days.

I would like to explain why I am still using Book Collector and why I do not consider CLZ Books Web a full replacement for the desktop version.

I have been using Book Collector for almost twenty years, and I have built up a large number of saved filters/queries. These are an essential part of how I use the program, and I use many of them several times a day.

For example, I have saved queries for books bought in a particular year, unread books from a particular year, books included in different reading challenges, books read during a particular month, books I have given away, shelfwarmers, and many other combinations of criteria.

The important point is that I don’t just need filtering. I need to be able to save my own queries and run them again with a single click. Recreating these filters every time is not a practical alternative for me.

I have no objection to CLZ Books Web, and I already use the free web version when I am away from home. I would be happy to pay for it as a complement to Book Collector.

What I find difficult to understand is why I should have to pay the full price for both products when the web version does not provide functionality that is essential to the way I use Book Collector.

I am not asking you to continue developing the desktop version. I understand that you have chosen to focus on the web version. I am simply asking whether you could offer existing long-term customers like me a combined or grandfathered price for desktop and web.

After almost twenty years as a customer, I think that would be a reasonable solution for users who want to adopt the web version where it is useful, while retaining the desktop version for functionality that is not currently available in the web version.

I hope you will consider this as a question of different user requirements rather than a question of which platform is better.

There is no free version of CLZ Books Web.
Are you referring to the free CLZ Cloud viewer website?

No one is asking you to pay full price for both products.
Our recommendation is to fully migrate to Web and STOP using the desktop software. If you do that, you only have to pay for the Web software of course.

If there are valid reasons for you that you can not use the Web software, you can stick with the desktop software and only pay for that.

There is never a reason to pay for both.

Well, looking at your account, you are fully grandfathered in for the desktop software, because you purchased it before it became subscription software. Which means you do NOT have to pay for the subscription of the desktop software, AT ALL.
I would think that is already quite a generous offer from us?

Thank you for answering my questions. It’s helpful information as I weigh the decision. (And sorry I took so long to answer; I received an email with your reply and thought you were replying to me directly, so initially I replied via email.)

In answer to your question: There are plenty of things I do on my computer when the internet is down. The indexing software I use for work (I’m self-employed) is on my computer, not the web. Ditto my Office suite (Word, Excel, Publisher, Outlook), ensuring that I have access to my documents (stored on my computer and/or our NAS) and my calendar, and can write, update spreadsheets, and update my calendar even when the internet is out. My genealogy software is on my computer, as are some of my favorite games. Sure, when the internet is out, I can’t access my email or use a search engine except on my phone (assuming I have connectivity), but I can still do a lot of the other things I do for work and play. So it is a consideration, but not necessarily the single deciding factor.

Thank you for clarifying that I am fully grandfathered for the desktop software. I was not aware of this, however.

My account currently shows an active subscription until January 18, 2027, and I have been paying for Book Collector virtually every year for almost twenty years.

Could you please confirm that when my current subscription expires, I can simply let it expire and continue using Book Collector 23.2.3 without paying anything further for the desktop software?

In particular, I would like to confirm that I can continue to use the program normally, including adding new books and using CLZ Core when I have an internet connection.

If that is indeed what “fully grandfathered” means, I would also like to understand why I have been renewing the subscription every year. This was never made clear to me, and I was under the impression that I needed an active subscription to continue using Book Collector.

I would appreciate a clear explanation of what my grandfathered status actually entitles me to.

I can confirm that your grandfathered status allows you to keep using the software if your subscription expires. Adding books will keep working, syncing too.

We do ask grandfathered users that if they are actively using the software and its online service (like adding books from Core, syncing with CLZ Cloud) to consider paying for the subscription anyway so we can keep them alive.

Thank you for clarifying this! That is exactly what I needed to know.

In that case, I will let my desktop subscription expire and continue using Book Collector 23.2.3 as my grandfathered version. I will then subscribe to the Web version instead, as I do like having access to my collection when I am away from home.

So I guess we have actually solved my problem. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you again for the clear and helpful answer!

1 Like