Date consistency

Not sure if I’m mis-remembering things before the 9.7 change but I see an inconsistency either way.

1. Release Dates aren’t always shown on the Add Series card view. Example - UBP has them but J&BC does not.

1. The date doesn’t appear at all on the Main card view. I thought it was there before and wonder if the addition of variant description might have pushed it off the card. (current UBP main card view below - compare against add series view above)

I like having the dates readily visible on the card views. I’ve frequently relied on it when tracking missing items and also aligning reading orders for crossover events.

There are 2 types of dates in Core
We have two dates for a comic in Core:

• Cover Date: the date printed on the cover of the comic
  • Release Date: when the comic is in store.

The Add screen
In the add screen in the “series” and issues" tab the “cover date” of a comic will show. Handy because it might help you identify which one you have.

On the NCBD tab, the “release date” of comics will show, as they are important for the actual release date.

For Ultimate Black Panther, they do, as we have them filled in.
For Jackpot & Black Cat they don’t as we do not have cover dates for those in Core, we only have the release date.

Main screen, your own collection
For the main screen indeed we switched from the a “date” there to the variant description which we feel is much cooler and handier in the cards view.

If you need the date, sometimes, use this icon:

And switch to LIST view, you will see that cover date again, to help you out in the example cases you mentioned.

I’m not sure why ‘cool’ is causing you to remove the date. Add Series shows both date and variant and is just fine. However, they also have the issue number in different locations so i kind of get it. Guess I’ll just get used to switching between card and list.

As for Cover vs Release, that’s a reasonable explanation and difference between Add Series/Issue and NCBD. However, it’s weird that a 2024 book would be missing Cover Date for all issues.

I am sorry for using the word “cool”. It’s not just about “cool” but handier too (as stated in my earlier message) to quickly see which variant you are seeing there in card view, without having to tap on the comic. We had seen request that users want to see the variant description there, and we made it happen.

The add screen is for adding books, and will have a different layout indeed.

The main screen is for checking your own books. Different layout. Different fields. The main screen also has your grade, slab icon, and value (own value or CP value). Having all those fields under the cover AND add the variant description would make it way too long. So we made a decision for a restyling of the layout.
But I am 100 percent sure you will get used to it, or used to switching.

I’ve taken note of your comments and how you used to use date in the card view.

As for the missing dates, I’ve reported this with the content team so they can fix it. By the way, this would be exactly the same in the older version :slight_smile:

Jackpot & Black Cat now all have cover dates!

1 Like