Failure to download images

Using Collectorz 23.1.1

Every so often, maybe one in every 30 discs I add, it will fail to download the front cover artwork for it. Sometimes it will bring up an error, sometimes it will show no image, despite there being one on the Connect version…

I can press Ctrl + U to manually update and it will download the images (1 album out of date, 1 updated, 0 were up to date), but I feel this shouldn’t be necessary - the album should not be out of date if I’ve just added it. Is there anything that can be done to automatically retry downloading the images if they fail?

I’m afraid there is not something to retry the image during the add process of albums.
Using Update from Core is indeed the way to go in that case.

The reason it shows up on Connect is because if the cover isn’t a “custom one”, Connect will just load it directly from our servers, always - nothing to do with if you have the image on your computer or not - which is great, because you’d never lose images that way!)

But it is interesting that it would fail.
If you add the exact same album again, as a test, does it download the cover correctly?
And if you get an error message, what is the exact error message you’re getting?

Yeah, I added the same album 5 times as a test, each time it downloaded the image without issue - as I say, it’s an intermittent issue, I can’t seem to predict when and where it’s going to fail.

Unofrutnately at the time of typing, I don’t have a screenshot of the error but it’s something along the lines of…

“Error downloading https://music-clzimages.s3.amazonaws.com/discogs/ae/ae_1614262_0_JonBonJoviMiracle.jpeg

… with an OK button, nothing else. I’ll be doing some editing this afternoon, so if it appears, I’ll add a screenshot and change that to something more accurate!

Thanks for trying that out for me. The error does look familiar at least.

If it does happen can you kinda take notice of how long it took before the error got there? I would like to know if it immediately seems to fail or if it is timing out, that would help a lot as well.

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with syncing images

I’ve been editing the collection on another machine recently and haven’t used this machine for a few weeks. I updated my changes on this machine (a hundred or so additions and about 600 edits) and only got one occurence of the error, which I’ve attached.

I checked the sync log, and it appears the file downloaded correctly.

Updated in database: Goldfrapp - Supernature (2005)
Updated in database: Various Artists - Now That’s What I Call Music! 32 (1995)
Downloading front cover: 10cc - The Very Best Of 10cc (1997)…
Downloading back cover: 10cc - The Very Best Of 10cc (1997)…
Added to database: 10cc - The Very Best Of 10cc (1997)
Added to database: Chicane - Far From The Maddening Crowds (1997)

… but again, the image wasn’t there and I had to update it manually.

On our side we can’t see anything wrong with the image for that one - and it did download in the end for you. Still… it is quite annoying I can imagine.

We think it might be something with a server or internet hickup - but we don’t get complaints/reports from other users on this.

I see it was about a month ago when you reported this, and now again - it did not happen in between?

[quote]On our side we can’t see anything wrong with the image for that one - and it did download in the end for you. Still… it is quite annoying I can imagine.

We think it might be something with a server or internet hickup - but we don’t get complaints/reports from other users on this. [/quote]

It does sound network related, but it’s the only application I’ve seen any problem with. Sometimes I’ll go weeks without seeing it, sometimes there’ll be lots of them in one refresh. I guess its intermittent nature doesn’t help tracking it down.

The confusing aspect is that if it was network based, I’d expect to see a timeout, or for it to stick on the same file for several seconds. . This hasn’t happened. Every time I’ve noticed the error, It’s zipped through, completed the sync seemingly normal, but then I’d get the error at the end.

No, but admittedly, I was using Collectorz on a Linux installation running WINE. Same machine, same network, just a different SSD. I understand that’s a completely unsupported way to run the software though, so don’t want to count that as a fair comparison :smiley:

I’m back on Windows now, and the only time I’ve seen the message was when I took that screenshot. You can close this one off as “computers being computers”. I’ll just mutter something about Bill Gates under my breath the next time it happens, and hope that the Ctrl+U fixes it :rofl:

Hah, well apart from the muttering, do keep an eye on it and let me know, I’m still interested if anything will show up in the logs.

The zipping through the list is also interesting - you wouldn’t expect that if something can’t connect or download indeed.

Oh and “grmlblrgrmlbl Bill Gates” indeed!

I love this.

1 Like