Foil/Metal Overlay

Hi Team,

Just wanted to pitch an idea. Foil cover are all the rage. Visually, I prefer the ‘digital’ cover image (basically just the virgin) vs. a scan or attempted photo of highly reflective cover.

It would however, be nice if they looked visually different in the app. What about putting some sort of overlay onto of the top of the cover image? Something to make it look a bit shiny?

I know this would require probably a new field to denote ‘foil’. But just a thought :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Fran

Actually the way they did it for Gun Honey, is quite nice. A bit of a transparent rainbow in the corner.

Any thoughts on this team?

I think it is a nice idea, but it would involve quite a bit work. First, all existing foil covers in the database would need to be replaced with the “normal” cover image, and then flagged as a foil.
Then of course there’s the technical side of showing them like that in the app.

Not sure if that is feasible.

Hey @CLZ_Alwin - you could just have it user based, like you did for the roll out of the slabbed graphics. So, if you wanted to tick the box for foil, you’d then get the image effect over what ever image is currently being used?

I use a tag for ‘Foil’, so for me it would be super easy to update my collection :joy:

I get what you are saying though about the overly image - I’m no dev, so I’m not sure how feasible that is.

One day I’ll pitch something that will make it! :wink:

Slabbed or not IS a user side checkbox, because it is about your personal copy.

Whether a comic is a foil cover or not, is more of a central fact, which is the same for everyone.
So I think this should be a Core thing.

So, if you wanted to tick the box for foil, you’d then get the image effect over what ever image is currently being used?

Not sure if that would work. I think the image effect would need to happen on a clean, regular image. Otherwise it would double up.

Very true!