Handheld barcode scanner

Hello, I was just wondering if there was still support for a handheld barcode scanner in the desktop version of the Comic Collector software. Thanks for any help.

Yes, that has not changed. However, for scanning barcodes check out our FREE scanner app CLZ Scanner. Search for “CLZ Scanner” in your App/Play Store on your iOS/Android device. This scanner app is directly supported in our Collector Windows downloadable, and online Connect software.

For third party scanners
Any scanner that can emulate keyboard input will work (also called HID devices).
Most barcode scanners have this functionality, though for some scanners you will need to install additional “wedge software” to get keyboard emulation. Check your scanner’s specification and/or documentation for more information.

For the software, your scanner is “just another keyboard”, so it will not be detected as a scanner.
To use your scanner, just place your cursor in the barcode/ISBN box, then scan a barcode. The barcode will appear inside the box, as if you typed the code with your keyboard.

But, you have to make sure that your scanner can scan those longer comic barcodes - that is not something they can all do.

One thing to note there is that for scanning modern comic barcodes, you need a scanner that supports scanning the FULL 17 digit barcode.
So the 12 digit base UPC code, plus the 5 digit extension.

Sometimes that is a configuration setting of the scanner.

Any Suggested Models?

Not really any suggestions for models.

Did you try our free CLZ Scanner app?

Yes, I have been using the phone scanner. It drains my phone battery super fast…

Most scanners I have looked at have no indication of whether it can do 17 characters or not, or mention HID… This is why I ask… I do not wish to buy one and then find out its hot garbage, after I get it,

What are we talking about here exactly? Do you use it a long time per day? How many comics do you buy every day? :slight_smile:

First I just started entering my collection… I started scanning and 2 hours later, my phone had gone from 100% to 45% power. This was 2 small boxes and a about 40 others, I had not bagged yet… I entered about 300 comics.

It’s why I am looking at a scanner…

Alright, then maybe keep looking for that scanner indeed. Just make sure it can scan that longer barcode - check options/settings or ask the vendor.

Or, scan for 2 hours, then take a “recharge” break and read some comics? :smiley:

1 Like

Lol… Which is exactly what I did…