Issues with re-linking titles with updated barcodes

Hi all, having a few issues with updating my database and linking correct products via barcodes.

Quite a lot of my titles are from an older database and don’t have barcodes but i wanted to add the correct ones and link to the right details in core. I’ve been trying to update them by unlinking from core, updating the barcode field then re-linking which does the automatic link based on barcode, (this is mainly so I don’t loose any custom data added to each title if I was to add them as new)

The auto-linking picks up the barcode and links but doesn’t appear to grab the correct info , it seems to just get the top level details if that makes sense? As an example:

1. Add a new game (Grand Theft Auto III - PS2) via title search and choose the top level result
  2. Unlink the title from core.
  3. Update the barcode field with the EU barcode (5026555300490)
  4. Re-link to core and let it automatically assign via unique ID (barcode) then update all fields (Replace current data).
    Result: covers, description etc don’t change.

Maybe there is a better way to achieve what i’m doing?

What would you expect to change exactly?
The description would be the same, as it is the same game, right?
Also, if the game you added by title already has the EU cover, that would not change either?

Hi Alwin,

I’d expect that when adding a barcode and re-linking it would pick the correct cover image. When i first added the titles several years back some of the regional covers were not available, so i’m now trying to update them by linking to the correct barcodes in core and have a fair amount to get through.

on further testing it seems that if you unlink an entry from core it sets the CLZ media ID to 0, when re-linking it stays 0 even if it links to the regional barcode. This happens regardless of what version you initially added and the cover image will change to the base one.

Sorry your correct about the description it is the same, it just messed up the formatting so some of the bullet points were missing, editing the entry (e.g adding a barcode) in anyway messes up the bulleted list in the description, guess that’s another issue though…

That is what it should do indeed. Of course, IF our Core actually has that correct cover image. Have you verified that?

After re-linking it should change the Media ID. If it does not change the Media ID, then that is why the image does not change.

BTW: this is all about the legacy Game Collector software, right?

We can confirm that this indeed a bug in the Game Collector for Windows version.
We tested in Game Connect and there it works. Have you considered switching to the Game Connect web-based software?

That is what it should do indeed. Of course, IF our Core actually has that correct cover image. Have you verified that?

Yes, have verified, the cover image is different for the barcode i’m linking with but when re-linking it doesn’t change the Media ID from 0. Verified by adding it as a new title with the bar code and it works fine. The problem only occurs when un-linking/re-linking.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Add a product with a regional cover e.g this barcode (5026555300490)
  2. Unlink the product from core. (CLZ Media ID changes from 1754 to 0)
  3. Re-link the product (automatically uses the barcode as the unique ID) and download all details. (CLZ Media ID stays as 0)

BTW: this is all about the legacy Game Collector software, right?

Yes the latest version of Game Collector software; v23.3.1

We can confirm that this indeed a bug in the Game Collector for Windows version.
We tested in Game Connect and there it works. Have you considered switching to the Game Connect web-based software?

I have, but I like to make use of custom fields which are not available in Game Connect I believe?. If this feature was there I would more than likely switch. are there plans to add this feature at all?

Understood that this a bug, I guess in the meantime i would have to remove any unique ID’s and do the re-link manually for each product. Unless there is a way to disable automatic linking when it finds a unique identifier?

Yes, we are planning to add User Defined field to Connect, hopefully later this year.
Just curious, what are you using User Definied fields for?

Sorry, I don’t know what you are saying/asking here? What kind of unique IDs are you referring to?

Mainly for extra game completion fields and a few others for example:

• A number field for how long it takes to beat (Taken from the HLTB website)
  • A custom picklist for completing the game as the built in one only has “yes/no”. I have
    • Completed - 100% done everything
    • Beaten - Finished main campaign only
    • Not finished
    • Endless - (for games like online shooters or simulators that can’t be completed)

When you re-link a title with a barcode set in the field it automatically links and doesn’t give you the option to choose other regional covers. with the bug we discussed occurring, it means when i re-link a product with the barcode updated I wont get the correct cover. The only way i can think is by removing the unique ID (barcode) and re-link , allowing me to choose the correct region manually along with the correct barcode.

I was wondering if there was a way to disable the automatic linking when it finds a unique ID?

But does relinking manually actually fix the problem?
I would be surprised if it does.

yeah just tried it, if you remove the barcode and then re-link and use the manual link method, it updates the cover and CLZ Media ID correctly. So just seems limited to when its automatically linking.

its a bit of a pain but I can get by with the manual method, just going to take a lot longer :cold_sweat:

A game has a “CLZ Game ID” and a “CLZ Media ID”.

What I found when testing this on Windows Game Collector is:

• I added a “game level result” without barcode, and I got a “CLZ Game ID” (not a CLZ Media ID)

• I then "unlinked the game.

• I notice that the CLZ Game ID gets cleared.

• I then edit the game and add a barcode for a specific edition of the game.

• I then link the game (it finds it based on barcode)

• I then Update the game and replace cover.

The CLZ Game ID is now filled in, but not the CLZ Media ID, and the cover I got was for the main game, and not my specific edition.

So that seems to be the bug we have just written down for Game Collector.

I wonder how you got it to fill in the Media ID on your Game Collector?

Hi AJ,

Maybe i wasn’t too clear on that point sorry, the only way i can get the correct CLZ Media ID is by removing the barcode then re-linking. which forces it to do a manual search so i can then use the “link manually” button and select the correct regional version of the game. I couldn’t find anyway to do it with the barcode still set.

Understood! It is still a bug and I’ve put it on the bug list for now. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

1 Like

BTW: have you tried using the Link Games tool in the CLZ Cloud site?
Maybe that is a good solution for linking in batch?

Just checked it out thanks, looks like a good solution for now :slightly_smiling_face: