Purchase Price + Selectable Currency Symbol

I buy additions for my collection from all over the world and I would like to be able to store the purchase price in the currency of the country of purchase. Would it be possible to simply create a separate entry field for the currency symbol?

Currently, the currency can only be set at the global level and then hold for all movies, all price and value fields.

Allowing to set a separate currency for each price or value has been on our idea list for quite a while.

However, even though this sounds like a simple addition, it is not.

There is one big problem with this: Totals. The main reason why users want to enter prices and values is to see totals in the Statistics screen.

So, as soon as we would allow setting a currency for each field separately:

• there would still be a need to provide some kind of total for these entered prices
  • obviously, the prices entered can then not be summed up anymore
  • so the program would need to either:
    • show separate totals for each currency
      OR
    • use exchange rate to convert prices to one “target” currency and total them that way
  • which means that there needs to be some setting to choose the “target currency” for totals
  • it also means the program would need to know about exchange rates
  • and while exchange rate change all the time, it would need to have some way to automatically download current exchange rates.
  • also users of course want to convert the currency using the exchange rate at the time of purchase.
  • so the program would even need to know about historical exchange rates.

And suddenly, a simple feature becomes a HUGE project, even needing a collaboration / license with a 3rd party that delivers exchange rates. Just giving you some background why this simple feature still has not been implemented.

That said, it does not mean we will never implement this, we have it on our project list, but I can’t make any promises at this point.

Just add a currency symbol field:
Just a “symbol” entry field that doesn’t really do anything is not the way to go, but if that is enough for you, you might want to use tags, or just put in “notes” what you actually paid in which currency. Or use the “Store” field where you purchased it to indicate the currency.