[Replied] Pick List / Series relabel

Awhile ago, I relabeled my Pick List entry for Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 1 (2009-2011) to Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol.2 for consistency with the cover text and with marvel.fandom.com.

When I scanned the first issue of the 2024 series (which fandom.com has as Vol. 3), it also appeared under under Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 2 since that’s what CLZ has chosen for the new series. I relabeled it through the individual issue edit to Vol. 3 but the same thing happened with the 2nd issue.

How do I correctly separate the 2024 series from the 2009 series and have new pickups from 2024 show up under my usage of Vol. 3?

Note: on the mobile app, my USM Vol. 2 has a CLZ Series ID of 149073 but my USM Vol. 3 entry has no ID. I couldn’t see how to find a series ID in the web UI.

Hi, looking into this I was able to find that the indicia says “Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man”. We like to follow the rule of “the indicia is leading”. But of course we can make changes to this rule if it makes a series harder to find, but in this instance it does not. It’s also the title for other ultimate (comics) titles during this time so we won’t be changing this.

@PellonX you mentioned you relabeled your Pick List entry. What do you mean with relabeling?

How do I correctly separate the 2024 series from the 2009 series and have new pickups from 2024 show up under my usage of Vol. 3?

Let me get this correct. You changed the series title for the 2009 run (which is listed as Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 1 in Core into Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol.2 and now, when adding new comics from Core, these 2024 issues are being placed in your manually editted Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol.2?

Note: on the mobile app, my USM Vol. 2 has a CLZ Series ID of 149073 but my USM Vol. 3 entry has no ID. I couldn’t see how to find a series ID in the web UI.

(Just saying but I would advice to not edit the Series ID.
This series ID corresponds with the 2024 run by the way.)

Looking forward to your reply so we can help you out with this. Feel free to include screenshot(s) if this helps out.

Unfortunately, the covers and indicia for Ultimate titles are very inconsistent.

1. The 2009 Series begins with an indicia of Ultimate Comics Spider-Man (UCSM) for issue 1, but changes to Ultimate Spider-Man (USM) for issue 2 and beyond. The covers all show USM.

2. The 2011 Series begins with an indicia of USM for issue 1, but changes to UCSM for issues 4-end. The covers all show UCSM.

At some point, I changed my pick list label UCSM, Vol. 1 to USM, Vol. 2. It currently shows with a CLZ Series ID of 149073 and if I add an item from the 2024 series it goes into the same set as the 2009 issues. If I add a new item out of Core from UCSM, Vol. 1, it appears separate from my existing 2009 issues, has UCSM, Vol. 1 as the label and a series ID 28682.

As for UCSM, Vol. 2, I had relabeled this as UCSM without a volume. It has a series ID of 41391. If I add another out of Core from UCSM, Vol. 2, it appears under UCSM as I would like/expect.

I believe all I really need to do is change the series ID for what I labeled as USM, Vol. 2 to 28682 and then anything from the 2009 series will stay in that. I can then relabel series ID 149073 from USM, Vol. 2 to USM, Vol. 3 and all 2024 books should get added to that within my collection.

OK - I have confirmed that changing the series ID of my USM, Vol. 2 has the desired effect but there is a caveat and I believe it explains how this confusion arose.

1. If I have a pick list series labelled USM, Vol. 2 which is not the same as Core’s - either because the series doesn’t have a series ID or has a different one, when the first item from Core’s series is added, my local pick list entry is altered.

That is… I had USM, Vol. 2 associated with 28682. When I added the first issue from Core’s USM, Vol. 2 (41391), it put it in the same series and altered my series ID to be 41391.

I was able to avoid this overwrite by doing the following.

I relabeled my USM, Vol. 2 (28682) to USM, Vol. Two. I added an issue from Core’s USM, Vol. 2 (41391). That gave me separate pick list entries for both series. From there, I could then relabel USM, Vol. 2 to Vol. 3 and Vol Two to Vol. 2. Now when I pull items from Core’s UCSM, Vol. 1 (28682) they are properly added to my USM Vol. 2 and when I pull items from Core’s USM, Vol. 2 (41391), they are properly added to my USM, Vol. 3.

Basically the challenge was that pulling from Core’s USM, Vol. 2 caused my USM, Vol. 2 to be overwritten because I only had one pick list entry and they shared the same name. However, if I have a pick list entry for both series, future adds line up correctly regardless of the labels of those series.