To slab or not to slab?

I’ve been collecting comics for almost 50 years but I’ve only recently decided to catalog my collection for the purpose of selling them. All my comics have just been kept in boxes. I’ve taken care of them but the books from the 70s and some from the 80s have slightly damaged covers and yellowed pages. Anyway I’ve noticed on CP that values for raw and slabbed can differ significantly. Take Daredevil vol 1 #191

Recent raw sales average $4 whereas recent slabbed sales average $40. Which leads me to seek your collective advice: it seems like I could make a lot more by sending the valuable issues for slabbing before I put them on the market?

Always a tough decision.
For this particular one, I’d say no, as the costs of slabbing and shipping would be prohibitive here.

I would look for more valuable comics, that are in good condition.

1 Like

I appreciate your opinion!

I think it would be so good if CLZ and/or CP were to set up an online auction house for used comics and/or a service to grade and slab books submitted for auction sale…

Any plans in that direction?

One other thing to recognize. You are showing prices for vastly different grades. The Raw $5 is for a FN. The Slabbed $85 is for a high grade NM.

Slabbers also have to inflate prices to cover the cost of getting graded. This is what I really don’t like. Too many are over-valuing the opinion of a single company which has been shown to be consistently inconsistent and even susceptible to fraud.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts!
I’m learning more every day…