User Defined Fields manual is missing information

I have been a CLZ Comics For Windows user for some years now (I’m on v23.7.3), and I would like to add a User Defined field to the Edit screens.
Unfortunately the “User Defined Fields” section of the Manual does not describe what actually happens when you try to follow the instructions. I will start this topic simply with the first such issue that comes up:
Step 1 in the instructions says " 1. Click menu Tools > User Defined Fields to start." But doing that brings up a window in which three field names are already filled in: "Comic + Story, " “Comic,” and “Story.”
What are these three entries for? Why does the Manual make no mention of them? Step 2 of the instructions says: 1. Click the blue “+” icon to add a user defined field, and select the Field Type (*see below) you wish to add. But when you try that, a new Field Type will only show up as a subset of one of the three unexplained fields, depending on which one you have preselected. How do I know which one to use?
All I want is a simple yes/no field that will allow me to note if a particular character (named in a tab) appears in any given comic. I hope someone can tell me how to do that.

screenshot of User Defined Fields window|689x435

I think you mean “Comic Collector for Windows”?
CLZ Comics is the mobile app.

Yes, you’re right. The desktop version.

Those are types of field.
You can create fields that live at the comic level only, or on story level only, or on both.
For most purposes, just use Comic level fields.

Any reason you cannot use the Characters field for that?

There actually is a reason I was hesitant to use the Character field for what I had in mind, but it is a rather obsessively geeky reason that I’d rather not get into :blush:

However, I’ve since done some thinking about how I can achieve what I want with what the program already offers. You can go ahead and close this thread. I appreciate the prompt reply to my post; that kind of author responsiveness is one of the reasons I have happily used it for years now.

Drew