Want To Learn More About Adding Rare Movies

The title is a bit odd, not sure how to ask it since there’s multiple things I want to ask.

SO. I recently bought a bluray of a movie that has never been on bluray before on Amazon. The movie is “The Bad Pack”. I have no problem finding the DVD version of the movie in the app, but no bluray.

I did a quick look into the company that released the bluray, it looks like they are based out of China. I went through the process of adding the movie and all the information, but I noticed some things.

When searching for the studio, neither of the two studios listed on IMDB showed up in the list, so I added them in manually. Does this only show up on my end or does it end up updating the whole database for everyone?

The studio that released the bluray, Massacre Video, was also not listed, so same question as above.

Since there was no barcode to scan, I did not enter one, but there is a Chinese barcode and number, it is alphanumeric: X0047TWDC9. If I enter that number in, will it be searchable by anyone or will I not be able to enter it?

Lastly, I tried to enter the sound, but Dolby SR (this is what IMDB calls it) is not on the list, does it get called something else?

Don’t mind all the questions, I’m just being curious.

The Studio list in your app would only show Studio entries that are actually used in the movies in your collection. That list you see is in no way meant to be a complete Core list of all Studios.

If you add Studios to your local list, that does not automatically add them to the Core list. But I am quite sure our Core list will already have them listed. (we have 82 thousand studios listed).
“Massacre Video” is already listed too.

That is not a barcode. You are welcome to add that code in your Barcode field in your app, but please do not submit that as the barcode to Core.

Dolby SR is Dolby Spectral Recording, we do not have that listed. Maybe it is called differently in our list, I don’t know. I think it is just an early name for Dolby Surround.

Yeah, I realized after I posted about the barcode that it’s actually an Amazon number. They must have their own barcode system to fulfill orders such as this. I’ll do some more research on the Dolby SR too and see what I come up with.

@cujoe_da_man
FYI Dolby SR Dolby SR - Wikipedia

Also my experience with Chinese releases is that they are mostly bootleg. Especially the ones frequently found on eBay. Buyer beware.

Didn’t notice I had another reply!

Yeah, I’ve bought a few bootlegs over the years, “The Bad Pack” being one of them.

I also just snagged a four disc set of all the “Species” movies on bluray, totally a Chinese set, though everything is in English. I do own the first two on legit 4K releases through Shout Factory! too, but the last two are fetching unreasonable prices on Bluray for only being straight to disc movies.

Late last year, I bought a Chinese copy of “The Great Dictator” on dvd. It’s not really worth anything and I probably won’t open it to watch it (I have a regular bluray copy), but it was a really neat looking case they put it in and it only cost me like $10.

I even have a copy of the bootleg, bootleg version of Star Wars ep. III. The movie was translated to Chinese, but then the Chinese translation was translated back to English. Someone took the movie and dubbed English speaking voices over top of the movie with the literal translations. It’s up on Youtube (surprised it hasn’t been taken down) and it’s called “The Third Gathers: Backstroke of the West”. I highly recommend it.