Switching from DVD Profiler - Where are Cover Pics?

I am looking (very hard) at switching away from DVD Profiler. I obtained a demo copy of this app and I brought over my database. Except for the DVD images all seems to be Ok. Is there a trick to get all my front/back cover images? I have ~ 1,450 DVDs in DVD Profiler.
Thanks, Barry

@Barry thanks for considering Movie Collector for your movie collection!

So when importing the XML from DVD Profiler (I’m assuming you’re doing it that way (using File > Import From > DVD Profiler), our program should see the path where your cover images were in DVD Profiler, and import them correctly.

If that doesn’t work: can you open DVD Profiler and see if the images are still visible there?

Thank you for the reply.
When I open DVD Profiler all is well. I can see the front and back covers of all the DVD’s in my collection.
I removed the collection in CLZ.
I went to DVD Profiler and did a XML Export according to the directions in CLZ.
That made no difference. I clicked on the icon on the far right of CLZ that says “Images”. A screen opens that looks like a multi-shelf book case, but instead of seeing the DVD covers, I see a lot of large “?” marks.
I looked to see where DVD Profiler stores my cover images:
C:\Users\barry\Documents\DVD Profiler\Databases\Default\Images
Can I copy all those images to a CLZ Folder? Which one?

Thanks for your reply.

You can not “move the images to somewhere for Movie Collector”.

What do you see when you Edit a movie in Movie Collector and click the Images tab? What is the path shown there? (I’m curious if an image actually DID go over, but the path is just wrong)

When I try to do an Edit, I get the screen saying my Trial has ended.
I was hoping to get this resolved before I bought the product so I could do an evaluation.

Which do I want to use? Movie Connect or Movie Collector, I’m confused on their use-case…

I generally happy with DVD Profiler, but there is no support for the product and I have had 2 issues that were very hard to recover from.

Whichever of your products listed above is most like DVD Profiler - that’s what I want.

Hi Barry,

Now I would recommend to use Movie Connect - but as for “what is most like DVD Profiler” I can’t comment on that. It is probably a more easier way to catalog your movies - and also computer-proof as in: Movie Connect will “just work”. No troubles with installable computer programs.
I would like to get you over to Movie Connect once we get your images in.

But let’s see where your images are in Movie Collector first:

Could you, in Movie Collector, click the LIST tab again, so you see a flat list of your movies.

Then, right click on one of the column headers and click Columns > Edit Current Column Favorite

Then, add “FRONT COVER” to the columns. And save it.

You now have a front cover column, and I’m wondering if there’s a path to an image in there. Can you screenshot that for me?

Because you say you’re seeing “Question marks” - it feels like the images did go through - but the thumbs just didn’t - but I’d like to see some full size screenshot before we continue.

You can try clicking TOOLS > Maintenance > Repair Thumbnails and make it go through that, see if that makes it work for you?

All those things are possible in the trial version even if you’ve gone over 50 movie limit!

I think progress is being made. Here is what I saw following your troubleshooting steps:

But let’s see where your images are in Movie Collector first:

Could you, in Movie Collector, click the LIST tab again, so you see a flat list of your movies.

Then, right click on one of the column headers and click Columns > Edit Current Column Favorite

Then, add “FRONT COVER” to the columns. And save it.

You now have a front cover column, and I’m wondering if there’s a path to an image in there. Can you screenshot that for me?

Because you say you’re seeing “Question marks” - it feels like the images did go through - but the thumbs just didn’t - but I’d like to see some full size screenshot before we continue.

You can try clicking TOOLS > Maintenance > Repair Thumbnails and make it go through that, see if that makes it work for you?

I clicked on the List View and now it shows the below instead of “?” in the blocks:

I right clicked on the first image and on the little menu that came up I picked “Find cover image” and this is what came up:

I know you’re busy. It says a lot about you that you’re taking the time to help me.
Thanks!

(ps- Sorry for the delay getting back today, I had a ‘fun’ visit to the Oral Surgeon first thing this morning - just waking up…)

Hi there, thanks for the screenshots!

So the path indeed seems like it’s been done correctly (it’s taken the image from DVD Profiler XML, and put the path in the front cover path. That is good).

But indeed you checked the location of the path, and it seems to be empty.

Could you try this for me:

• Close the program
  • Right click the program icon and “start/run as administrator”
  • Click menu File > New Database
  • Now do the DVD Profiler import again.

See if the images come through this time?

(It might be some rights problem where it didn’t get to move the images on your computer).

If not, we might want to try and take this to email support where we can perhaps even try a login Teamviewer session to see if I can help you remotely with this.
help.clz.com > to send us an email

Morning. I deleted the Collection. Ran the app as Administrator. Chose New Database. I tried the import by picking DVD Profiler and it didn’t work.

I tried the option to import from XML… (vs DVDProfiler) This is what happened:

I changed to the 2nd radio button (Copy cover images to images folder) and this came up:

The cover images are obviously there for DVD Profiler. But as we can see, they don’t end up in your Collector Images Folder.

Import from XML feature is only to be used for XML files that are created with our program.

The DVD Profile import is for DVD Profiler XMLs.

Please do not randomly try imports via other routes for now.

Would you be open for a login session via Teamviewer? We can make an appointment through help.clz.com

Yes. I’d like to get this to working.

Okay, please send me an email through this page:
https://help.clz.com/movie/desktop/windows

Then also include dates/time that would work for you, and include your timezone.

We are in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and it is 4:45 PM here right now.

I sent you a message via the path you suggested.

It’s easy for me to get up in the middle of the night (my time) to work on this with you.

Hey, Im new here. I have the same issue with the cover art. Could you help me as well? Thank you!

Yes, I can, can you also drop me an email through this:
https://help.clz.com/movie/desktop/windows

Then also include your timezone, so we can set a date/time as we are in Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Hello everyone,

I have used previously Collectorz (from DVD Profiler) but I have always resigned for this same reason: Pics issue. I just didn’t want to pass through the pain of importing so many missing covers, specially since I have got a big quantity of own covers included in DVD Profiler (Spanish market is not so well supported in any movie database). Other issues were annoying, like the different number of imported number of titles from the total amount reported at DVD Profiler.

Anyway, now the situation has changed. I have changed my mobile phone and DVD Profiler is no longer available. I have to choose between a unreliable apk downloaded from unreliable webpages or switching to a different app.

Has that problem with the covers been resolved?

My collection is not so big, but I am not in the mood to enter from scratch the +2.700 titles I have. And solving one by one the cover issue is not much better.

Before the creation of the DVD Profiler Android version I got one of my friends creating a custom app that imported the data from the desktop DVD Profiler application. It worked perfectly (but has disappeared also from Google Play Store) so it has not be so difficult :slight_smile:

Please send all the community some feedback about that issue.

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards

There is no known issue with the cover pictures. If your pictures are currently showing in DVD Profiler, then the import into Movie Collector should work.
If it doesn’t, we have a workaround.

I recommend to try the import again, into Movie Collector, and if your pictures do not come across, then contact us and let us help you with that.

Hi CLZ_Alwin,

I have activated the 7 days free trial and it has appear my old 2019 database! :slight_smile:

In the first 90 movies 19 covers are missing. It is true that in many occasions are what DVD Profiler called “Child Profiles”, that is, discs that are part of a season package, for instance. But many of them are normal titles (Under Siege, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Iron Eagle… and so on). 19 out of 90 is a too high percentage of problems related with covers. Did I do something wrong when importing from DVD Profiler?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards