What do you read/collect?

I love his artwork. ‘Aliens: Dead Orbit’ was a blast to read. I was flabbergasted by the work he put in that.

I’m also very curious about ‘Orc Stain’. What can you tell me about that, if you please? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I buy and collect vintage Italian fumetti. New comics-wise I buy the two ongoing German ‘Phantom’ series and some hardcover editions, like ‘Torpedo’ from All-Verlag. From time to time, I acquire vintage ‘Roter Blitz’ (‘The Flash’) and ‘Batman’ issues from Ehapa (in German). So, I’m a pretty relaxed collector (when I’m not on the hunt in the Italian market) :wink:

3 Likes

Tintin, Blake & Mortimer, Lefranc - Original versions (French).

2 Likes

I totally agree with ASM …pure loyality…even so it got slightly better the last issues… but the crossover events are not my cup of tea :D. heard Wolvi vs Predator is good?

3 Likes

I love indie publishers mostly, horror, and don’t go for many superhero titles. When I do go superhero it’s primarily Batman (usually limited series), Swamp Thing, Howard the Duck, Zatanna and Spider-Man.

Current collections:

• Marvel’s Alien
  • Star Wars (all titles)
  • AoD
  • Batman/Scooby
  • Planet of the Apes
  • Chilling Adventures (Archie)
  • Conan
  • Red Sonja
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Ghostbusters
  • Darkwing Duck
  • TMNT (all titles)
  • Hellboy (although really any Mike Mignola)
  • Humbaba
  • Dark Ride
  • Crave
  • Bone Orchard Tenement
  • Cemetery Kids Don’t Die
  • about 20 other indie titles

Back issues:
A lot, pretty much anything but current focus is Swamp Thing and Howard the Duck.

4 Likes

It was Marvel, in particular the Civil War storyline, that got me into comics about 10 years ago in my early 30s. But to be honest I’ve not read Marvel for years… I really like a lot of the BOOM!, Image, and IDW stuff. Currently reading things like Something Is Killing the Children, House of Slaughter, Undiscovered Country, The Walking Dead (Deluxe - cos I refused to read the b&w ones lol), Fishflies, Department of Truth (although I think that’s finished now), and some of the Millarworld/Netflix ones like The Magic Order, Night Club etc.

1 Like

I own Orc Stain, but I haven’t got around to reading it yet. A friend that has similar taste to me loves it, though. Check out Stokoe’s “Orphan and The Five Beasts” that came out recently, and also “Godzilla: The Half-Century War”. Both excellent stories and art by him.

I would love to meet him just so I can ask him how he started using the absolutely insane pen grip that he uses.

5 Likes

That pen grip… :dizzy_face:

Thanks for the tip, “Orphan and The Five Beasts” looks like it’s right up my alley.

2 Likes

I love Stokoe as well, very crazy way of holding the pen!

That brings to mind Erik Larsen (Savage Dragon) who also has a very unique way of holding his pen when drawing:

4 Likes

Collected for years as a kid. Sold them all at some point except for 1 short box of my favorites. During Covid in 2021 I dug them out and got a bunch graded… first time dealing with graded books. I was hooked again. Luckily my buddy had been collecting all these years so he caught me up to speed on things. While my drug of choice back in the day was Spider-Man (and still is my everything) I haven’t really enjoyed some of the new stuff. I am now collecting and reading anything that looks intriguing. Current collecting/reading list:

Barbaric!!! I am passionately addicted to this series. Own almost every cover and have since fallen in love with and buy most things that Vault comics is putting out.

W0rldtr33 & SIKTC & Dracula So James Tynion is on fire! If his names on the cover I’m reading it.

Eight Billion Genies
Hell to Pay
I Hate Fairyland
The Hunger and the Dusk
Kill Your Darlings
Beneath the trees where nobody sees
Fishflies
Know Your Station
Dark Ride

4 Likes

I’ve got all 4 issues of Wolverine v Predator. Have I read any of them yet? I have not. I hope they’re good!

3 Likes

Yeah, ASM is trying me, to be sure. Just picked up the new Ultimate Spider-Man last night and am looking forward to reading tonight. If it delivers, it may just replace ASM for me.

2 Likes

:smile: sounds like me with a lot of series …especially the mini once… i try not to buy those anymore

1 Like

I know a lot of people who cannot get into B&W comics, but there’s a lot of great stuff only available in B&W.

It’s fortunate Kirkman “went back to the well” to reissue Walking Dead in color… it allows him to sell the entire series again to a new fanbase!

the reviews on comic geek where “excuse the pun” amazing! I might read it asap as well

Oh right! I knew I was forgetting something. I’m pulling Batman '89 as well. First issue of the current arc was damn good, so I’m hoping it maintains. I did NOT enjoy the original run, though.

1 Like

I think the Savage Conan Run will be BW as well if i read correctly somewhere :smiley: … can anyone confirm? I dont minfd BW as long as the story and art is nice… there is just to much bad artwork out there these days… I love David Finches drrawing style for example on Batman… and there was the batman black and white runs …

1 Like

It was pretty decent! It reminded me of those “wouldn’t it be cool if…” conversations I used to have on the playground when I was 10 years old.

2 Likes

Love your superhero picks… and I agree …sometimes is nice to not read superheroe stuff as it can get repetitive

1 Like

was it not a one shot they added? I mean i still am subscribed but I really often miss if its ongoing, mini or one shot LOL. whish there would be a proper announcement or list to check for all titles …so i wouldnt need to look up each :smile: .