Will Music Collector be dismissed?

Good point. I don’t travel anymore so a web based program has no use to me. I like saving everything to my usb sticks and my remote hard drive. I have this thing about apple and iphones where everything is in the cloud. I’m staying with music collector.

That did not change. We are still supporting the desktop software.

Okay, and how does a music cataloging program fall in that category?

You have stated that you will support it as “as long as that is feasible” and “All our development focus is now on the Music Connect web-based software and the CLZ Music mobile app. It is unlikely that there will be any more features update for the Music Collector desktop software.”
My music collection is both a key asset and a daily catalog program is essential just as my financial managment software. Bottom line, I can use them offline and have my master data locally stored.
Its clear I am not going to change your mind in regards to keeping the desktop Music Collector software updated and supported. I will just have to see how this plays out and keep alternatives in mind.

1 Like

Exactly. That means it will probably keep working for many years to come.

Some of our long-time competitors with music database desktop software for Windows:

Really, if you are coming from Music Collector, THE best alternative is our Music Connect web-based software.

Its a pity CLZ have stopped updating Music Collector as there are still many things that i would like to see! Oh well, it was nice to see the updates whilst they were going for the last 10 plus years. Thats progress i suppose or maybe a company that thinks change is better.

1 Like

Just curious, what would like to see added?

Credits expanded to include artwork and photographers, Date listened and some other’s that really wont come to mind at the Moment. Ha Ha.

Some general expansion to the credits system would be cool to see. E.g. the ability to indicate which tracks certain credits would apply e.g. where an album has multiple producers for different songs or a guest player in particular songs, etc - you can currently ‘bypass’ this by just adding track numbers after the instruments for musicians, but same doesn’t apply for the other credits like producers, engineers, etc. You could potentially even utilise the individual track credits feature for this because right now that feature seems almost superfluous (or certainly I can’t find any view where individual track credits are ever shown), but if e.g. you added a specific credit to track 3, the program would then add that credit into the details view with the right song indicated.

I still also wish there was a way to ‘group’ artists together in the artist folders. For example if Eric Example has in his 30 year career had several backing bands, all of which have been credit as Eric Example & The ___s, I’d like to be able to group all these under just the main Eric Example entry in my list of artists. Or if a band changes their name without any other changes to their line-up etc, I could just group both names under one artist folder. Playing around with view/sort names doesn’t quite work as the artist folder list still splits them.

Sorry, realise this is a bit off-topic - but I guess it’s to highlight that there are still some potential additions/tweaks out there to consider! Mainly just anything that enables further customisation of organisation and how data is viewed.

Re grouping an artist’s multiple bands, isn’t that accomplished by adding both the artist and the band as separate artist entries?

That’s absolutely a workaround for sure! But it then creates two separate artist folders, one for the main artist and one of the backing band, if you use the folder view and sort by Artist. Ideally I’d love to be able to organise Music Collector exactly like my shelf, with no duplicate entries. But appreciate it’s a minor little thing!

El principal problema que veo en Music Conect para una colección de música clásica es no poder organizar las composiciones por compositor, clave, op y fecha, como se puede hacer en Collector. Quizá haya otra manera de hacerlo que desconozco, pero la opción de una sola entrada que incluya todos estos campos a mi no me ayuda a su localización. No podría tener Music Conect esa opción?

I have written a long statement about all this here: