IMPORTANT: New rules for reporting missing comics!

To improve our efficiency in getting all missing stuff added, we are implementing new rules.
In short, we want urgent missing comics reported here and less urgent missing comics reported through the Submit to Core system.

For recent modern comics, from the big publishers, report here

On this Core / Missing forum, please only report URGENT missing comics:

1. Only RECENT comics, released in the past THREE MONTHS.
2. Only comics from the BIG PUBLISHERS.

For now, that list of publishers is:

• Marvel Comics
  • DC Comics
  • Dynamite
  • Boom! Studios
  • Image Comics
  • Dark Horse Comics
  • IDW Publishing
  • Oni Press
  • Zenescope
  • Titan Books
  • UDON
  • Archie
  • DSTLRY
  • Mad Cave

For older missing comics and those from small publisher, use Submit to Core

For other missing comics, so for those older than 3 months or from the smaller publishers (including kickstarters), please use the Submit to Core feature inside your app or software. When submitting to Core, please make sure your submitted entry is as complete as possible, so that we can efficiently batch process your entries into the Core.

At a minimum, fill in the following fields:

• Series. If a series is already in Core, use that EXACT series title.
  • Issue Number and Variant
  • Cover Date and/or Release Date
  • Variant Description
  • Barcode (if applicable)
  • Front Cover image

NOTE:
Please understand that we want missing reports on BOTH recents comics AND on older comics. It’s just that for efficiency in processing by our content managers, we want to handle recent comics through the forum and older comics through Submit to Core.

Missing reports for recent stuff are just more “urgent”, we want to get them in as fast as possible, so that we can keep up with all new releases as well as we can.
For older comics the importance and urgency of adding them quickly is just much lower. I mean, if a comic from 1994 (for example) is not in Core, that means that:

1. that specific comic has not been reported or submitted by ANY other user, since the creation of Core in 2004. So that says something about the importance of adding it, it has to be somewhat obscure.
  2. since it has not been in Core for the past 20 years, the urgency of getting it added is much lower, meaning that it is fine if adding it takes a bit longer.

For any questions about these new rules, just comment below.

4 Likes

That distinction makes sense. Would you consider making Series name an editable field in the Submit to Core page online?

I have moved some things around in my own database. For example, I have put Canadian editions into their own series, separate from the US editions.

So if I have a Batman Canadian edition that I need to submit, it’s likely no longer in Batman, Vol. 1 in my collection. That means for me, I would first need to move it back to the appropriate series, submit it and then put it back where I want it in my own database.

If series were also editable on the webpage, then I could leave everything where I want it, hit submit to Core, then edit that webpage before I submit the final page.

The current steps do work, but there’s a lot of movement to make it happen correctly…

A post was split to a new topic: Venom Epic collection “The Hunger”

A post was split to a new topic: Problems uploading cover photos

Could I ask that Mad Cave, (being the holders of Flash Gordon, Gatchaman and Dick Tracy licenses) be considered for the list above?

We were debating on this one, but it didn’t make the cut. It has now been added back! This list (with Mad Cave) probably won’t change any time soon. Thank you for the feedback.

For older series updates, do you still want us to post here that we have submitted updates through the app?

I’ve been doing that when submitting things to core through the app.

Yeah, that can definitely help getting your submissions processed.

A post was split to a new topic: New variants coming out for Transformers #13

How do you submit to core in the app?

Just tap the comic you want to submit. On its details page, tap the Action button on the bottom, then from the action menu, choose Submit to Core.

How long would you say, on average, will it take for a Submit To Core posting to get a response? I was very happy with the Forum post system, because it worked way faster than Submit To Core did. There are ancient submissions of mine on Submit To Core that have never been processed (from just before the Forum became the way to submit, so I wonder if they were just dumped?) Given that my collection contains lots of stuff from smaller presses, I now wonder if I’m stuck in the slow lane. This is a really depressing move. There are even individual SDCC exclusive issues that Covr Price has values for that aren’t yet in Core, and now won’t be for a long time, because they’re from smaller companies. (Also, some missing covers that I sent in under the Forum system, and which then appeared on the app, have gone missing again.) I’d really like to hear a timescale for Submit To Core. Thanks!

It would be nice if there was some mechanism to tell us that something submitted to core was actually done.

I’ll follow the new rules, which means that most of my submissions with be by submitting to core at this point.

I echo a few other users above - I’ve always struggled to determine if/ when something I’ve submitted to core has been accepted. Is there a mechanism to determine this?

Same, I’ve submitted many books over the years and as far as I can tell they’ve never been added.

Maybe a “My Submissions” menu that lists submissions you’ve made with a simple “Pending”, “Accepted” or “Rejected” message along side?

In the past few years, we have had a huge backlog in submissions. Which has caused huge delays in processing them.

Currently, we do NOT have a backlog. All submissions are being processed (or rejected) within a week.
There currently is no way to determine if your submission has been accepted or rejected. We may create something for that later.

Yes, I understand. But that system also meant that our content managers have been working almost full time to process these reports, manually creating Core entries, manually copy/pasting all the information in, manually adding the cover images.
This is fine for the more “urgent” missing comics and variants, but highly inefficient for the folder and more obscure stuff. For those, a nicely filled in submission is much easier to process into Core, with our existing CMS tools.

Please understand that the ONLY reason we are implementing these new rules, is to get all missing stuff added in a more efficient way, whether it is new or old, whether it is highly popular or very obscure.

Okay, hearing that makes me a lot happier. A system that lets us know whether our submissions had been accepted or rejected, and why, would make this process very effective, because then we could try again if there’s just one detail missing, say, and our work wouldn’t go to waste. And I can see that, just this morning, my latest round of submissions have been accepted! Good response, great customer service, thank you!